Centro Risorse Territoriale di Pesaro e Urbino

Guidebook to Pesaro within the walls

Report Broken Link Change Language
Language Switch Cloud Preload
Current Language: English
You can select another language:
‹« ItalianItalian »›
or Close this window.

Una guida di Pesaro entro le mura

(a guidebook to Pesaro within the walls)

di Lamberto Bozzi

Testo bilingue e illustrazioni a cura dell’autore.

Bilingual text and illustrations by the author.


Start of the walk / Inizio del percorso:

Il centro storico di Pesaro è in gran parte un’isola pedonale.

Most of the centre of Pesaro is a no-traffic zone.

0. Antica cinta muraria di Pesaro

L'antica cinta muraria pentagonale di Pesaro (XVI secolo) Ŕ lunga 3.295,36 metri.

The ancient pentagonal wall of Pesaro (XVI century) is 3,295.36 metres in length.

Viale della Liberazione (28 Agosto 1944) / Viale della Liberazione (Liberation) (28 August 1944)

1. Baluardo del Miralfiore / The Miralfiore Rampart

Avanzi delle mura pentagonali di Pesaro, costruite per volontà del Duca Francesco Maria I della Rovere nel XVI secolo e quasi completamente demolite dal Sindaco Ugo Tombesi nel 1911. Pier Francesco da Viterbo, aiutato da un gruppo di architetti militari, ha disegnato il pentagono secondo le sue teorie del “fronte bastionato”, cioè di una cortina di mura con forti bastioni e terrapieni ai cinque angoli. Il fossato è stato trasformato in giardino pubblico, argutamente chiamato, perchè sotto il livello stradale, “i bassifondi”.

The remains of the pentagonal walls of Pesaro, built by Duke Francesco Maria I della Rovere in the XVI century and almost totally demolished by Mayor Ugo Tombesi in 1911. Pier Francesco da Viterbo gathered a team of military engineers to help him design a pentagon according to his theories of a “front with ramparts”, that is a wall with strong ramparts and earthwork at the five corners.

The moat has been turned into a public garden wittily called, as it is under street level, “the slums” (I bassifondi are literally the nether parts of a city).

Piazza Lazzarini

2. Monumento a Garibaldi (1891) / Monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi (1891)

Opera di Ettore Ximenes. Lo scultore, nato in Sicilia nel 1855, ha visto l’Eroe a Palermo durante l’Impresa dei Mille. Una scheggia ha frantumato la mano sinistra della statua durante il bombardamento del 25 Aprile 1944. La mano è stata malamente rifatta dopo la guerra. Sono scomparsi due dei quattro cartigli di bronzo posti originariamente sul piedistallo del monumento, ciascuno con un nome e una data (Roma, 1849; Bezzecca, 1866; Palermo, 1860; Mentana, 1867).

Ettore Ximenes, the sculptor, was born in Sicily in 1855 and saw the Hero in Palermo during the Expedition of the Thousand. A splinter shattered the statue’s left hand during the bombardment of 25 April 1944. It was replaced with a new one -a botched up job- after the war. Four bronze scrolls each with a name and a date (Rome, 1849; Bezzecca, 1866; Palermo, 1860; Mentana, 1867) were originally on the pedestal of the monument. The last two are now missing.

3. Piazza Lazzarini

Piazza Lazzarini, meglio conosciuta come “Il Trebbio” (dalla parola dialettale “El Trebbi”, cioè il trivio), Ŕ il vero centro di pesaro.

Piazza Lazzarini, better known as “Il Trebbio” (from “El Trebbi”, the dialect word for crossroads), is the real centre of Pesaro.

4. Teatro Rossini / Rossini Opera House

Sopravvissuto al pesante bombardamento del Trebbio nella seconda guerra mondiale (25 Aprile, 1944), il Teatro Rossini è il più recente di una serie di teatri costruiti, a partire dal 1637, nel luogo in cui erano un tempo ubicate le scuderie ducali. E’ stato dedicato al Maestro nel 1854. Chiuso nel 1966, è stato riaperto dopo un radicale restauro il 6 Aprile 1980. Il Rossini Opera Festival è una manifestazione musicale internazionale che si svolge qui ogni anno in Agosto.

Having survived the heavy bombardment of the Trebbio during World War II (25 April 1944), the Rossini Opera House is the latest of a series of opera houses built as from 1637 in the place where the ducal stables were once located. It was named after the Maestro in 1854. It was closed in 1966 and reopened on 6 April 1980 after a thorough restoration. The Rossini Opera Festival is an international musical event that takes place here every year in August.

5. Fonte del trebbio / Fountain of the "Trebbio"

La fonte del Trebbio è stata portata a Pesaro nel 1621 dai Giardini del Palazzo ducale di Casteldurante (Urbania).

The fountain of the “Trebbio” was brought to Pesaro from the gardens of the ducal Palace of Casteldurante (Urbania) in 1621.

6. Palazzo Lazzarini

Il canonico Giannandrea Lazzarini, pittore, architetto e uomo di lettere (1710-1801) è nato in questo palazzo nella Piazza a lui dedicata. Una lapide lo ricorda.

Canon Giannandrea Lazzarini, a painter, architect and man of letters (1710-1801) was born in this house in the square named after him. A plaque commemorates him.

Via Branca N° 93

7. Palazzo Fronzi

Palazzo Fronzi - ora Michetti-Mancini - risale al XVI secolo ed è stato danneggiato durante la seconda guerra mondiale. Non è stato ben ricostruito il voltone di accesso alla via Morselli.

The Palazzo Fronzi - now Michetti-Mancini - dates back to the XVI century and was damaged during World War II. The archway leading to via Morselli has been badly rebuilt.

Palazzo Fronzi - Voltone / Archway

Palazzo Fronzi - Voltone / Archway

8. Via Morselli

Resti delle mura sforzesche del XV secolo.

The remains of the ancient walls built by the Sforzas in the XV century.

9. Via Cattaneo N° 34

Palazzo Ciacchi

L’abitazione della famiglia Ciacchi, costruita tra il 1722 e il 1767 e restaurata qualche anno fa, è la sede dell’Associazione industriali. Il Cardinale Luigi Ciacchi (1788-1865) è stato un personaggio di rilievo alla corte di Pio IX. Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837) è stato uno dei molti ospiti illustri del Palazzo. I Leopardi erano strettamente imparentati con le famiglie pesaresi dei Cassi e dei Mosca-Barzi.

The residence of the Ciacchi family, built between 1722 and 1767, was restored a few years ago and is now the headquarters of the Industrialists’ Association. Cardinal Luigi Ciacchi (1788-1865) was a man of some stature at the court of Pope Pius IX. Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837) was one of the many famous guests of the Palazzo. The Leopardis were closely related to the Cassi and the Mosca-Barzi families.

Via Cattaneo NN 37/49

Esedra di Palazzo Ciacchi, portata a termine nel 1755. L’arco dà su Via Morselli.

The Exedra of the Palazzo Ciacchi was completed in 1755. The archway leads to Via Morselli.

10. Via Giovanelli

Volto Giovanelli, così chiamato dall’adiacente palazzo progettato nel XVIII secolo da Tommaso Bicciaglia.

The Giovanelli archway, named after the adjoining palazzo designed in the XVIII century by Tommaso Bicciaglia.

Via della Maternità

11. Chiesa della MaternitÓ / Holy Maternity Church

La Chiesa della Maternità, nella via omonima, risale al XVIII secolo ed ha un campanile a vela.

The Holy Maternity Church, in the street with the same name, dates back to the XVIII century and has a typical belfry.

12. Via Branca

Solo l’imponente facciata è sopravvissuta alla demolizione della Chiesa di San Domenico e del suo bel campanile (la grande campana è conservata nell’atrio del Palazzo comunale). Il chiostro, che sarà presto restaurato, è ora un mercato delle erbe. Il Portale, custodito da due leoni, è stato costruito nel XIV secolo per volontà della famiglia Malatesta il cui stemma è posto al centro dell’architrave.

San Domenico si trova nella colonna di sinistra, senza la mano sinistra e parte del fiore che reggeva con la destra. Nel fiorone è scolpito un agnello.

L’edificio sullo sfondo è il Palazzo del Comune, costruito nel 1954 su progetto dell’architetto Cesare Pascoletti.

Only the imposing facade has survived the demolition of Saint Dominic’s and its fine bell tower (the great bell is kept inside the Town Hall). The cloister is now a vegetable market and will soon be restored.The Portal, guarded by two lions, was built in the XIV century by the Malatesta family whose coat of arms is at the centre of the architrave. St. Dominic is standing in the left pier, minus his left hand and part of the flower he was holding with his right hand. The finial represents a lamb.

The building in the background is the Town Hall, built in 1954 and designed by architect Cesare Pascoletti.

Piazza del Popolo N° 5

Entrata del Palazzo del Comune. La campana di San Domenico è nell’atrio.

Entrance to the Town Hall. The bell of Saint Dominic’s is in the hall.

Piazza del Popolo

13 (a) Palazzo della Posta / General Post Office

Il Palazzo della Posta occupa il luogo in cui sorgeva la Chiesa di San Domenico. La facciata è stata disegnata da Luigi Poletti (1792-1869) e poi rimaneggiata da Edoardo Collamarini (1864-1928). Nel 1926 il Dittatore fascista Benito Mussolini ha pronunciato un importante discorso dal balcone: il “Discorso della Lira”.

The General Post Office was built on the site of Saint Dominic’s. The facade was designed by Luigi Poletti (1792-1869) and altered by Odoardo Collamarini (1864-1928). In 1926 Fascist Dictator Benito Mussolini made an important speech from the balcony: the “Speech of the Lira”.

13 (b) Facciata del Palazzo della Posta / The facade of the General post Office

Statua di Giulio Perticari, inaugurata il 26 Agosto 1854. Perticari, uomo di lettere, era marito di Costanza Monti, la figlia del traduttore dell’Iliade di Omero. Nella stessa giornata è stata inaugurata la statua di Rossini, all’altra estremità della facciata.

The statue of Giulio Perticari was unveiled on 26 August 1854. Perticari, a man of letters, was married to Costanza Monti, the daughter of the Translator of Homer’s Iliad. The statue of Rossini, at the other end of the facade, was unveiled on the same day.

14. Palazzo ducale / Ducal Palace

Il palazzo, residenza dei Malatesta prima e poi degli Sforza e dei della Rovere, è stato ingrandito e rimaneggiato nel corso del tempo. La facciata che dà sulla piazza risale al periodo sforzesco. Vi sono sei grandi archi sotto le cinque finestre che danno luce all’enorme salone metaurense (m.36 X 16,5) con soffitto a cassettoni. Sono invece stati i della Rovere ad incaricare i loro architetti Girolamo e Bartolomeo Genga (padre e figlio) di sistemare la grande corte interna e allungare la costruzione lungo il Corso XI Settembre. Il palazzo è sede della Prefettura. Notevoli la sala d’aspetto, con un bassorilievo di Federico Brandani (XVI secolo), la stanza da letto del Duca, e il cosiddetto “bagno” di Lucrezia Borgia, moglie di Giovanni Sforza. Da visitare tra gli spazi interni sia il cortile, dove un tempo si svolgeva la caccia ai tori, sia il cortile “segreto” su cui si affaccia una costruzione dell’architetto ducale Girolamo Genga (1476?-1551).

The palace, once the residence of the Malatesta, Sforza, and della Rovere families, has been enlarged and altered through the centuries. The facade on the square dates back to the Sforzas’ time. There are six large arches under the five windows that illuminate the huge Metaurense Hall (36 x 16.5 metres) with a coffered ceiling. The great inner courtyard was designed by architects Girolamo and Bartolomeo Genga (father and son) for the della Roveres. They also extended the building along the Corso XI Settembre. The palace is the seat of the Prefecture of the Province. Worth seeing are the waiting-room with a bas-relief by Federico Brandani (XVI century), the Duke’s bedroom, and the so-called “bathroom” of Lucrezia Borgia, the wife of Giovanni Sforza. Also worth visiting are the inner courtyards: the courtyard once used as a bull ring and the “secret courtyard” overlooked by a building designed by architect Girolamo Genga (circa 1476-1551).

15. Palazzo Baviera

L’attuale Palazzo Baviera è l’antica Paggeria, costruita per alloggiare il personale della corte dei Duchi della Rovere. In seguito il Palazzo è passato ai Marchesi Baviera, provenienti da Senigallia. La costruzione è opera di due architetti: Filippo Terzi che l’ha iniziata nel ‘500 e Niccolò Sabbatini che l’ha completata nel ‘600 con una curiosa modifica, ampliando cioè la dimensione delle finestre. Le cinque finestre disegnate dal Terzi sono infatti più piccole delle altre otto.

The Palazzo Baviera is the ancient building reserved for the pages of the ducal Palace. It was later on bought by Marquis Baviera, a nobleman from Senigallia. The palazzo, designed by architect Filippo Terzi in the XVI century, was completed in the XVII century by another architect, Niccolò Sabbatini, who altered the dimension of the windows: The five windows designed by Terzi are smaller than the other eight.

Dietro la porticina, un breve corridoio conduce ad una scala a chiocciola di marmo ad anima piena che mette in comunicazione il piano nobile del palazzo con le cantine e con la piazza.

Behind the door, a short passage leads to a winding marble staircase with open newels which connects the first floor of the palazzo to the cellar and to the square.

16. Fontana della piazza / The fountain of the main square

La fontana della piazza risale al 1960 ed è un rifacimento dell’antica fontana seicentesca di Lorenzo Ottoni, fatta saltare dai tedeschi nel 1944. La tazza, sormontata da un giglio di pietra, è circondata alla base da quattro tritoni che cavalcano altrettanti delfini. Quattro cavalli marini nuotano nella grande vasca esterna.

The fountain of the main square dates back to 1960. It’s a copy of the XVII century fountain designed by Lorenzo Ottoni and blown up by the Germans in 1944. A stone lily stands on the overflow basin which is surrounded by four tritons mounted on dolphins. Four horses swim in the large basin.

Piazza del Popolo è a 11 metri sul livello del mare.

The Piazza del Popolo is 11 metres above sea level.

17. Via Baviera N° 53

Insegna d’osteria (Osteria della Guercia) e arco che dà sulla Piazza del Popolo.

An inn-sign (At the Sign of the Cross-eyed Woman) and the archway leading to the Piazza del Popolo.

Via Baviera

La cornice dell’apertura sotto lo stemma e il portale al numero civico 20 facevano parte in origine del vecchio Palazzo comunale demolito negli anni trenta del secolo scorso.

The stone frame of the doorway, the coat of arms over it and the portal at N° 20 were originally part of the old Town hall demolished in the 1930's.

Plastico del vecchio Palazzo Comunale / A scale model of the old Town Hall

Plastico del vecchio Palazzo Comunale

A scale model of the old Town Hall

18. Piazzetta Mamiani

La caratteristica lanterna della Chiesa di San Ubaldo / The characteristic lantern of the Church of San Ubaldo

La Chiesa di San Ubaldo è stata edificata su disegno dell’architetto Francesco Guerrini per volontà della Comunità pesarese nel XVII secolo. Per il rivestimento esterno della cupola sono state impiegate circa 4 tonnellate di piombo. Qui è la tomba del Duca Guidubaldo II della Rovere (1514-1574) e di Vittoria Farnese, sua moglie (1520-1602). La Chiesa è ora dedicata ai caduti in guerra.

The Church of San Ubaldo, designed by architect Francesco Guerrini, was built by the Community of Pesaro in the XVII century. The cupola is plated with some 4 tons of lead. Duke Guidubaldo II della Rovere and Vittoria Farnese, his wife, are buried here. The Church is now a war memorial.

Via Rossini

19. Palazzo Gradari (Via Rossini N° 24)

Il Palazzo Gradari ha cambiato molti proprietari nel corso del tempo. La facciata è seicentesca.

The Palazzo Gradari has often changed hands since it was built. The facade dates back to the XVII century.

20. Palazzo Mazzolari (Via Rossini N° 37)

Il Palazzo, progettato da Giannandrea Lazzarini nel XVII secolo, è stato successivamente acquistato e restaurato dalla Marchesa Vittoria Toschi-Mosca che lo ha lasciato in eredità, insieme con l’arredamento, al Comune di Pesaro.

The palazzo, designed by Giannandrea Lazzarini in the XVII century, was subsequently bought and restored by Marchioness Vittoria Toschi-Mosca who bequeathed it and all it contained to the Commune of Pesaro.

Palazzo Mazzolari

Palazzo Mazzolari - Corte / Courtyard

21. Casa di Rossini / Rossini’s birthplace (Via Rossini N° 34)

Gioachino Rossini è nato il 29 Febbraio 1792, anno bisestile, in questa casa di mattoni a vista, allora proprietà di un sacerdote gesuita cileno. Il bambino è stato battezzato nel vicino Duomo. I Rossini abitavano in un appartamento di due stanze al primo piano. Gioachino, figlio ubbidiente e molto attaccato a sua madre, è cresciuto in una famiglia musicale. Il padre, Giuseppe, soprannominato “Vivazza”, era trombettiere comunale. La madre, Anna Vivarini, figlia di un fornaio, era una cantante.

Rossini ha composto 36 opere, dal 1812 al 1829. Tra i suoi successi si ricordano “La Cenerentola”, “Il Tancredi”, “Il Barbiere di Siviglia” (composto in 13 giorni), “Il Viaggio a Reims”, “Il Guglielmo Tell”. Nel 1823 il Maestro è stato ricevuto dal Re Giorgio IV durante una visita in Inghilterra. Direttore del Teatro italiano di Parigi dal 1824 e Compositore reale dal 1826, Rossini è vissuto a lungo in Francia. Dopo il 1829 ha composto solo due lavori importanti: lo “Stabat Mater”, uno stupefacente oratorio, e “La Petite Messe solennelle”. Il Maestro è morto a Passy, nei pressi di Parigi, nel 1868, lasciando il suo patrimonio alla città natale. Dopo la prima sepoltura nel cimitero di Pére Lachaise, Rossini ha avuto una tomba tra i grandi italiani nella Chiesa di Santa Croce, a Firenze.

Rossini’s birthplace. Gioachino Rossini was born on 29 February 1792, a leap year, in this brick house, then the property of a Jesuit from Chile. The baby was baptized in the nearby Cathedral. The Rossinis lived in two rooms on the first floor. Gioachino, a dutiful son very fond of his mother, grew up in a musical family. Giuseppe, nicknamed “Vivazza”, was the town trumpeter and Anna Vivarini, a baker’s daughter, was an operatic singer.

Rossini composed 36 operas from 1810 to 1829. Among his “hits” we remember “Cinderella”, “Tancredi”, “The Barber of Seville” (composed in 13 days), “The Trip to Reims”, “William Tell”. In 1823 the Maestro was received by King George IV during a visit to England. Rossini spent a long time in France where he was appointed Director of the Italian Opera (1824) and then Royal composer (1826). He wrote only two important works after 1829: “The Stabat Mater”, a stunning oratorio, and “La Petite Messe Solennelle”. The Maestro died at Passy, near Paris, in 1868 leaving his fortune to his native city. He was buried in the Pére Lachaise cemetery, but was later translated to Florence where he now rests among the great Italians in the Church of Santa Croce.

22. Chiesetta del S.S. Sacramento (Via Rossini N° 50)

La Chiesetta del S.S. Sacramento, risalente al XVII secolo, non esiste più. Sopravvivono la sua facciata e il piccolo campanile.

The facade and a belfry are what is left of the little Church of the Most Blessed Sacrament dating back to the XVII century.

23. Seminario Vecchio / Old Seminary (Via Rossini N° 53)

Il Seminario vecchio della Diocesi di Pesaro risale al XVIII secolo ed è opera di Giannandrea Lazzarini. Il Seminario ospita la redazione del settimanale “Il Nuovo Amico”, pubblicato a cura delle Arcidiocesi e Diocesi della Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino.

The old Seminary of the Diocese of Pesaro dates back to the XVII century and was designed by Giannandrea Lazzarini. The Seminary houses the editorial office of “Il Nuovo Amico”, a weekly published by the Archdioceses and Dioceses of the Province of Pesaro and Urbino.

Madonna col Bambino

Madonna with Child

Via Rossini N° 58

Ingresso del Palazzo arcivescovile, costruito dal Vescovo Umberto Luigi Radicati (1739-1775). La Biblioteca e l’Archivio arcivescovili sono aperti al pubblico.

Entrance to the Archbishop’s Palace built by Bishop Umberto Luigi Radicati (1739-1775). The Archbishop’s Library and Archives are open to the public.

24. Cattedrale / Cathedral (Via Rossini)

La Cattedrale di Pesaro trae origine dall’adattamento di una Basilica romana avvenuto già nel quarto secolo dopo Cristo. Di questa Chiesa primitiva sono giunti fino a noi due stupendi pavimenti a mosaico sovrapposti: uno del IV-V secolo a l’altro del VI secolo, con rifacimenti fino al XII-XIII secolo. La facciata tardo romanica, con il rosone, ed il portale gotico dell’edificio, con i due leoni, sono sopravvissuti al rifacimento del Duomo iniziato negli anni sessanta dell’ottocento e terminati nel 1903. Il corpo di San Terenzio, Patrono di Pesaro, è conservato in un’urna di vetro nella Cappella che prende il suo nome. La festa del patrono si celebra il 24 Settembre.

The Cathedral of Pesaro, originally a Roman Basilica, was altered and turned into a Church in the IV century A.D. Two stunning mosaic floors are buried underneath the present floor, one dates back to the IV and V centuries the other to the VI century with alterations dating back to the XII and XIII centuries. The late romanesque facade, with a rose window, and the Gothic portal, with two lions, survived the rebuilding of the Cathedral which began in the 1860’s and was completed in 1903. The body of Saint Terence, Patron Saint of Pesaro, is kept in a glass sarcophagus in the Chapel named after him. September 24 is the Patron Saint’s Day.

25. Piazza Collenuccio N° 10

Portale quattrocentesco.

A XIV century portal.

26. Piazza Collenuccio

Via della Canonica e abside del Duomo visti da Piazza Collenuccio.

Via della Canonica and the apse of the Cathedral seen from Piazza Collenuccio.

Piazza Collenuccio

Fontana verde scuro di ghisa soprannominata “Carolina”, una delle tante copie della tipica vecchia fontana cittadina ricollocate nel centro della città a partire dal Giugno 1997.

A dark green cast-iron fountain nicknamed “Caroline”, one of the many copies of the typical old city fountain to be found again in the town centre since June 1997.

27. Via Gavardini N° 36

Parte posteriore del Convento dei Francescani. L’edificio risale alla fine del settecento ed è stato progettato dall’architetto Padre Giuseppe Tranquilli (?-1804).

The back of the Franciscans’ Monastery. The building dates back to the end of the XVIII century and was designed by architect Father Giuseppe Tranquilli (?-1804).

28. Piazzale Matteotti

Rocca Costanza / The Costanza Fortress

Costanzo Sforza ha dato inizio alla costruzione della rocca che porta il suo nome nella seconda metà del ‘400. I lavori sono stati portati a termine dal figliolo Giovanni Sforza, il cui nome si può leggere nello stemma di famiglia sul portone. La costruzione, col suo grande fossato, è poi venuta a far parte delle mura roveresche.

Costanzo Sforza started the construction of the fortress bearing his name in the second half of the XV century. Costanzo’s son Giovanni, whose name is inscribed in the family coat of arms, completed the fortress which, with its large moat, became part of the XVI century pentagonal wall.

Rocca Costanza / The Costanza Fortress

29. Viale Don Minzoni

Monumento a Terenzio Mamiani, affettuosamente soprannominato “Teston Mamiani”, opera di Ettore Ferrari (1898). Terenzio Mamiani della Rovere (1799-1885) è stato il primo Ministro della Pubblica Istruzione dell’Italia unita. Mamiani ha servito fedelmente prima il Papa e poi il Re.

The monument to Terenzio Mamiani, affectionately nicknamed “Big head Mamiani”, by Ettore Ferrari (1898). Terenzio Mamiani della Rovere was the first Education Minister of united Italy. Mamiani loyally served first the Pope and later the King.

30. Piazzale Matteotti

Il busto di Pandolfo Collenuccio (1444-1504) Ŕ stato collocato di fronte alla Rocca nella quale l’umanista è stato assassinato, per presunto alto tradimento, per volontà di Giovanni Sforza, Signore di Pesaro.

The bust of Pandolfo Collenuccio (1444-1504) has been placed in front of the Fortress in which the humanist was murdered for alleged high treason by order of Giovanni Sforza, the Lord of Pesaro.

Piazzale Matteotti

Fontana con cinque zampilli, inaugurata nel 1998.

The fountain with five jets of water was inaugurated in 1998.

31. Via San Francesco N° 21

Palazzo Baldassini è stato costruito nel XVI secolo dalla famiglia del Monte cui apparteneva l’illustre matematico e architetto Guidubaldo (1545-1607), stimato da Galileo Galilei con il quale era in corrispondenza. Il palazzo ha un grande giardino all’italiana.

The Palazzo Baldassini was built in the XVI century by the Del Monte family. Guidubaldo del Monte was a renowned mathematician, in correspondence with Galileo Galilei who held him in high esteem. The Palazzo has a large Italian garden.

32. Via San Francesco

Chiesa di San Francesco. Santuario di Santa Maria delle Grazie / Saint Francis' (Shrine of Saint Mary of Graces)

La chiesa di San Francesco, costruita nel XIV secolo nel luogo di una chiesa duecentesca preesistente, è stata modificata nel XVII secolo. Dal 1922 ospita i Servi di Maria, ordine presente a Pesaro da oltre 600 anni. Il portale gotico, custodito da due leoni, è stato costruito nel XIV secolo per volontà di Pandolfo II Malatesta, Signore di Pesaro. Nella lunetta, la Vergine Maria siede sul trono con San Pietro e San Francesco entrambi inginocchiati ai suoi piedi. Una statua di San Francesco poggia anche sulla chiave di volta dell’arco. San Gerolamo e Sant’Antonio sono posti sopra le nicchie laterali che un tempo incorniciavano gli stemmi della città e dei Malatesta. Il portale è stato restaurato tra il 1993 e il 1994. All’interno troneggia l’immagine della Madonna delle Grazie, Patrona della città e della Diocesi. Il quadro è stato dipinto dal fanese Pompeo Morganti nel 1545. La terza domenica di ottobre la Madonna è portata in solenne processione per le vie della città. E’ la festa del voto, che ricorda la liberazione di Pesaro dal colera nel 1855. Le tre ampie navate contengono numerose opere d’arte descritte nel pieghevole a cura di Padre Paolo Erthler (1941-2009) e di Luisa Fontebuoni.

Saint Francis’, built in the XIV century on the site of a pre-existing XIII century church, was altered in the XVII century. In 1922 it was taken over by the Servants of Mary, a religious order that has been active in the city for over 600 years. The Gothic Portal, guarded by two lions, was built by Pandolfo II Malatesta, Lord of Pesaro, in the XIV century. In the tympanum, the Virgin Mary sits on the throne with St. Peter and St. Francis kneeling at her feet. A statue of St. Francis also stands on the keystone of the arch. St. Jerome and St. Anthony stand on the side niches that once framed the coats of arms of the city and of the Malatestas. The portal was restored between 1993 and 1994. The image of Our Lady of Graces, Patron Saint of the city and of the Diocese, reigns supreme in the church. It was painted by Pompeo Morganti, from Fano, in 1545. On the third Sunday in October, the Madonna is carried in state along the streets of Pesaro, in gratitude for her help in liberating the city from a cholera epidemic in 1855. The three naves contain a lot of works of art described in the brochure written by Father Paolo Erthler (1941-2009) and Luisa Fontebuoni.

33. Via del Moro

La lapide sulla facciata dell’edificio a sinistra ricorda il luogo in cui sorgeva la casa natale di Odoardo Giansanti, detto “Pasqualon” (1852-1932), il poeta dialettale di Pesaro.

The plaque on the wall of the building on the left marks the house, long since demolished, where Odoardo Giansanti, nicknamed “Pasqualon”, was born. Pasqualon, that is Big Pasquale (1852-1932), wrote poems in the Gallic-Italian dialect of Pesaro. (Pasquale is a name sometimes given to boys born on Easter Sunday, “Pasqua”).

34. Via dell’Ombra

Volto dei Marzetti / The Marzetti archway

Volto dei Marzetti, così chiamato dal nome della famiglia del proprietario.

The Marzetti archway, named after the owner’s family.

Archivolto romanico / Romanesque archivolt

Archivolto romanico murato sotto la volta dei Marzetti.

A bricked up Romanesque archivolt under the Marzetti archway.

Decorazione floreale / Floral decoration

Decorazione floreale scolpita su un mattone usato come selce in via dell’Ombra.

Floral decoration engraved on a brick used as a cobblestone in via dell’Ombra.

35. Via Diaz N° 36

Palazzo Giovanelli

Il Palazzo è stato progettato dall’architetto Tommaso Bicciaglia (1720?-1804?).

The Palazzo was designed by architect Tommaso Bicciaglia (circa 1720-circa 1804).

36. Via Diaz

Chiesa di San Giuseppe / Saint Joseph's Church

Fondata dalla Confraternita omonima nella seconda metà del XVII secolo, è divenuta parrocchia alla fine del settecento, in seguito alla demolizione della vicina fatiscente chiesa parrocchiale di San Michele Arcangelo. Dal 1986 la parrocchia è dedicata a San Giuseppe. La pala d’altare cinquecentesca è opera di Terenzio Terenzi, detto il Rondolino (1575-entro il 1621), e rappresenta la Sacra Famiglia: San Giuseppe, il falegname, lavora con impegno vicino a Maria e al Bambino Gesù. Nel primo quadro a sinistra, sopra il confessionale, due Santi (il Vescovo Liborio e il Vescovo Trofimo) contemplano la Madonna e il Bambino, ma due angioletti non prendono la scena sul serio: uno finge di leggere un libro, mentre l’altro prova a calarsi in testa la mitra. Alcuni oggetti d’argento sono inseriti sulla prima tela a destra, opera di Giacomo Carboni (XVIII secolo), che raffigura il Transito di San Giuseppe.

Founded by the Brotherhood bearing the same name in the second half of the XVII century it became a Parish after the demolition of the neighbouring crumbling Parish church of Saint Michael the Archangel. The Church was dedicated to St. Joseph in 1986. The cinquecento altar piece was painted by Terenzio Terenzi, called Il Rondolino (circa 1575-circa 1621), and represents the Sacred Family: St. Joseph, the carpenter, is busy at work next to Mary with the Child Jesus. In the first painting on the left, over the confessional, two Saints, Bishop Liborio and Bishop Trofimo, are looking up at the Madonna and the Child, but two little angels aren’t taking the scene seriously: one pretends to read a book while the other is trying on the mitre. A few silver objects are superimposed on the first painting on the right, the work of Giacomo Carboni (XVIII century), representing the Passing away of St. Joseph.

37. Via Giordano Bruno

Ingresso posteriore del Chiostro del Convento di San Domenico, ora mercato delle erbe.

The back entrance to the Cloister of the Monastery of Saint Dominic, now a vegetable market.

38. Corso XI settembre

Corso XI settembre

Corso XI settembre N° 38 - Palazzo Perticari

Il palazzo dei Conti Perticari risale al XVIII secolo ed è opera dell’architetto Tommaso Bicciaglia (1720?-1804?).

The palazzo dates back to the XVIII century and was designed by architect Tommaso Bicciaglia (circa 1720-circa1804) for Count Perticari and his family.

39. Corso XI settembre N° 40

Palazzo Perticari

Decorazione floreale della facciata di un negozio, già barbieria di Orlando Pierucci.

A Liberty-style shop front, formerly Orlando Pierucci’s barber shop.

40. Via Toschi-Mosca N° 7

Portale rinascimentale di una casa in via Toschi-Mosca.

The Renaissance portal of a house in via Toschi-Mosca.

41. Via Toschi-Mosca N° 29

Cortile del palazzo Toschi-Mosca e ingresso dei Musei civici / Courtyard of the palazzo Toschi-Mosca and entrance to the Municipal Museum

Il museo è famoso per la sua raccolta di ceramiche prodotte dal XIV al XVI secolo nelle botteghe delle città del Ducato di Urbino: Pesaro, Urbino, Casteldurante (Urbania), Gubbio. La pinacoteca ospita molte opere notevoli, tra le quali una pala d’altare - “L’Incoronazione della Vergine”- e una “Crocefissione”di Giovanni Bellini (1430?-1516), la “Testa di San Giovanni Battista” di Marco Zoppo (1433-1478), la “Maddalena” e il “San Giuseppe” del pesarese Simone Cantarini (1612-1648). Il museo merita una visita da farsi senza fretta.

The museum is famous for its collection of ceramics made by craftsmen in the cities of the Duchy of Urbino: Pesaro, Urbino, Casteldurante (Urbania), Gubbio. The picture gallery contains a lot of distinguished works, among which an altarpiece - “The Coronation of the Virgin” - and a “Crucifixion” by Giovanni Bellini (circa 1430-1516), the “Head of St. John the Baptist” by Marco Zoppo (1433-1478), “Mary Magdalene” and “St. Joseph” by Simone Cantarini, a Pesarese (1612-1648). The museum is worth a leisurely visit.

Testa della Medusa / Head of Medusa

Nel cortile è murata la testa della Medusa irta di serpenti al centro dell’egida (2,60 metri di diametro, peso 12 quintali), opera in maiolica di Ferruccio Mengaroni (1870-1925). La Medusa ha ucciso l’artista cadendogli addosso durante la preparazione di una mostra a Monza.

The majolica head of Medusa with its snaky locks, at the centre of the aegis (2.60 metres across, 1,200 Kilos in weight), is set on a wall in the courtyard. It’s the work of Ferruccio Mengaroni (1870-1925). During the preparation of an exhibition in Monza, Medusa fell on the artist killing him.

42. Via Mazzolari N° 22

La Casetta Vaccaj / The Casetta Vaccaj

La Casetta Vaccaj, già proprietà della chiesa ed ora appartenente a una famiglia pesarese, risale ai primi anni del XVI secolo ed è pertanto l’edificio privato più antico di Pesaro. L’entrata si trova in via del Seminario e la facciata su via Mazzolari è stata rifatta pochi anni dopo la costruzione dell’edificio in seguito all’allargamento della piazza. Il balcone dà su un corridoio, e ai lati del portale si notano le finestre originarie murate.

The Casetta Vaccaj, once a church property and now belonging to a pesarese family, dates back to the XVI century and is the oldest privately owned building of Pesaro. The entrance is in via del Seminario and the facade on via Mazzolari was altered a few years after the construction of the house when the square was widened. The balcony opens onto a corridor and the original bricked up windows are still to be seen on both sides of the portal.

43. Via del Seminario N° 16

Avanti della base di una torre malatestiana con beccatelli.

The remains of the foundation of a tower with corbels date back to the time of the Malatesta’s rule.

44. Via dell’Annunziata N° 5

Palazzo Gabrielli

Palazzo Gabrielli prima sede della fabbrica di motociclette Benelli.

The saga of the Benelli Motorcycle Factory started here.

45. Via dell’Annunziata

Chiesa dell’Annunziata / Church of the Annunciation

La Chiesa, restaurata nel XVIII secolo, appartiene alla Fondazione della Cassa di Risparmio di Pesaro. L ‘Annunciazione rappresentata nel grande stucco dietro l’altare maggiore è opera di Giuseppe Mazza (1653-1741).

The Church, restored in the XVIII century, is now the property of the Foundation of the Pesaro Savings Bank. Giuseppe Mazza (1653-1741) is the author of the large stucco showing the Annunciation.

46. Via Mazzolari N° 52

Palazzo Leonardi e volto “della Ginevra” / The Palazzo Leonardi and the “Ginevra” archway

Il Palazzo ha belle finestre del ’500 ed è stato costruito dai Conti Leonardi di Montelabbate (un paese ubicato su una vicina collina). Nel XIII secolo, la casa della famiglia Malatesta era proprio in quest’area.

The ancient Palazzo has fine “cinquecento” windows. It was built by the Leonardis, Counts of Montelabbate (a walled hilltop village near Pesaro). In the XIII century the house of the Malatesta family was in this very area.

46. Via Mazzolari N° 52

All’altra estremità del volto si trova il portale della Cappella della Misericordia vecchia.

The portal of the old Chapel of Mercy is at the other end of the archway.

47. Via Sara Levi-Nathan (Ghetto grande) vista dalla montatina di Via Mazzolari / Via Sara Levi-Nathan (Greater Ghetto) seen from the slope of Via Mazzolari

L’antica via dei Negozianti è stata dedicata a Sara Levi, pesarese (1819-1882), amica di Mazzini e di Garibaldi e madre di Ernesto Nathan (Londra 1845-Roma 1921), Sindaco di Roma. Nel passato Pesaro è stata un importante centro culturale ebraico. Nel XVI secolo vi hanno operato famosi tipografi come Abraham Ben Hayim e Gershom Soncino, quest’ultimo ha stampato 16 libri sul Talmud ed una Bibbia completa.

The ancient via dei Negozianti (the Merchants Street) was named after the pesarese Sara Levi (1819-1882), a friend of Mazzini and Garibaldi and the mother of Ernesto Nathan (London 1845-Rome 1921), the Mayor of Rome. In the past Pesaro was an important Jewish cultural centre. The famous printers Abraham Ben Hayim and Gershom Soncino were active here in the XVI century. The latter printed 16 books on the Talmud and a complete Bible.

48. Via delle Scuole N° 25 (Scuola, o Scola, e Sinagoga sono sinonimi / Scuola or Scola, and Synagogue are synonyms)

Portale della Sinagoga / Portal of the Synagogue

Portale della Sinagoga rivolto a sud-est, verso Gerusalemme. Le donne entravano per la porta a destra che dà sulla ripida scala che conduce al matroneo.

The Portal of the Synagogue, due southeast faces Jerusalem. The door on the right opens on to the steep staircase leading to the women’s gallery.

Via delle Scuole

La Sinagoga sefardita di Pesaro risale al XVI secolo, periodo in cui una numerosa comunità di ebrei provenienti dalla penisola iberica è stata accolta dal duca Guidubaldo II della Rovere. Una “Scola italiana”, non più esistente, si trovava al N░ 26 di via delle Scuole. La città è stata in passato un rinomato centro di studi religiosi ebraici.

The Sephardic Synagogue of Pesaro dates back to the XVI century when a large community of Jews from the Iberian Peninsula were welcomed by Duke Guidubaldo II della Rovere. Another synagogue of Italian rite, long since demolished, was located at N° 26, via della Scuole. In the past the city was a renowned centre of Hebrew religious studies

49. Via delle Botteghe (Ghetto piccolo) vista da Via Almerico da Ventura

La veneziana Margherita Sarfatti, nata Grassini (1880-1961), ha avuto per molto tempo una grande influenza artistica e culturale su Benito Mussolini. Il nonno materno di suo padre era il Signor Laudadio Gentilomo, trasferitosi dal Ghetto di Pesaro a Venezia nel 1831. Margherita Sarfatti è stata la fondatrice del gruppo artistico “Novecento”.

Via della Botteghe (Shops Street) (Lesser Ghetto) seen from Via Almerico da Ventura.

A Venetian lady, Margherita Sarfatti, née Grassini (1880-1961), had a strong artistic and cultural influence on Benito Mussolini for a long time. Her father’s grandfather on the distaff side, Mr Laudadio Gentilomo, moved to Venice from the Ghetto of Pesaro in 1831. Margherita Sarfatti founded the “Novecento” artistic group.

50. Via della Battaglia NN 7/9

Case costruite sulle antiche mura cittadine rastremate.

Houses built on the ancient tapering walls of the city.

Via della battaglia N° 18

La vecchia “Cucina Economica” cioè la cucina popolare dell’ECA (Ente Comunale di Assistenza) dove i poveri, fino al 1965, potevano avere gratis un pasto caldo giornaliero.

The old charity soup kitchen of the Municipal Relief Board where, till 1965 , the poor people of the city could have a hot daily meal for free.

51. Via Castelfidardo N° 81

Chiesa sconsacrata di San Nicolò, ricordata da una generazione di pesaresi come sede del Cinema “Bambi”.

The deconsecrated church of Saint Nicholas is remembered by a generation of Pesaresi as the “Bambi” Cinema.

52. Via delle Vetrerie N° 19 (vetreria = glass works)

Oratorio della Misericordia, conosciuto come oratorio delle Zoccolette, cioè delle ospiti dell’attiguo orfanotrofio femminile. E’ opera dell’architetto Tommaso Bicciaglia (1720?-1804?) che lo progettò nella seconda metà del settecento.

The Chapel of Mercy, also known as the Chapel of the Girls with Clogs (worn by the boarders of the orphanage next door). It was designed by architect Tommaso Bicciaglia (circa1720-circa1804) in the second half of the XVII century.

53. Via Luca della Robbia

Ex Chiesa dei Camaldolesi, alla porta del Ghetto.

The former Church of the Padri Camaldolesi, at the gate of the Ghetto.

54. Via Luca della Robbia NN. 9/11

La fabbrica di ceramiche Molaroni è stata fondata nel 1880 e conserva una caratteristica ciminiera.

The Molaroni ceramics factory was founded in 1880 and still has its characteristic smokestack

55. Via Sara Levi-Nathan

Palazzo dell’ INAIL (Istituto Nazionale contro gli Infortuni sul Lavoro), costruito dopo lo sventramento di parte del Ghetto avvenuta negli anni trenta.

The INAIL Building (National Institute against Labour Accidents) was built after the partial demolition of the Ghetto in the 1930's.

56. Piazzale 1° Maggio N° 32

Campanile della Chiesa di Sant’Agostino, ricostruito nel XIV secolo, e parte posteriore della Camera di Commercio.

The bell tower of Saint Augustine’s, rebuilt in the XIV century, and the back of the Chamber of Commerce.

57. Via Pellipario

Chiesa di Sant’Agostino vista da Via Pellipario, già Via delle Stalle.

Saint Augustine’s seen from via Pellipario, formerly Via delle Stalle (Stables).

Corso XI Settembre N° 116

Camera di commercio, opera in stile littorio degli architetti Paniconi e Pediconi (1937).

The Chamber of Commerce was designed in the so-called Lictorian style by two architects: Mario Paniconi and Giulio Pediconi (1937).

Corso XI Settembre - Chiesa di Sant’Agostino (Saint Augustine’s)

La grande e luminosa navata della chiesa ha tre altari in ciascun lato con grandi tele tra le quali spiccano la “Sacra Famiglia” di Giacomo Pandolfi (XVII secolo), “L’Annunciazione” di Palma il Giovane (1544-1628), “Santa Rita da Cascia” del pesarese Simone Cantarini (1612-1648) e “San Nicola da Tolentino” di Cristoforo Roncalli, detto il Pomarancio ( (1522-1626). A sinistra dell’altare maggiore, una piccola cappella accoglie un stucco raffigurante Maria di Magdala ai piedi di Cristo crocifisso, opera di Federico Brandani, un bravo artista urbinate (1525-1575). Dietro l’altare maggiore, si trova lo stupefacente coro ligneo risalente alla fine del XV e agli inizi del XVI secolo. Di particolare interesse sono le tarsie con le vedute di Pesaro, le sculture e le decorazioni.

The ample and luminous nave has three altars on each side with large paintings some of which are noteworthy: “The Sacred Family” by Giacomo Pandolfi (XVII century), “The Annunciation” by Palma the Young (1544-1628), “St. Rita da Cascia” by Simone Cantarini from Pesaro (1612-1648) and “St. Nicola da Tolentino” by Cristoforo Roncalli, called Il Pomarancio ((1522-1626). In a small chapel to the left of the high altar there’s a stucco showing Mary of Magdala at the foot of the Cross, by Federico Brandani, a fine artist from Urbino (1525-1575). Behind the high altar there’s a stunning wooden choir dating back to the end of the XV century and the beginning of the XVI century. Particularly interesting are the sculptures, the decorations and the inlays with views of Pesaro.

58. Corso XI Settembre

Chiesa di Sant’Agostino: Portale (primi anni del quattrocento) / St. Augustine’s : Portal (early XV century)

I leoni accucciati, le teste di leone aggettanti, le colonnine riccamente scolpite e le statue dentro le edicole finemente lavorate fanno del portale di Sant’Agostino una gioia per gli occhi. Lo stemma di Pesaro (a sinistra) e dei Malatesta (a destra) sono scolpiti sotto l’architrave che mostra Agostino fra angeli, santi e profeti. Le statue del Santo e di Santa Monica, sua madre, si trovano anche nelle edicole a destra in basso e a sinistra in alto, rispettivamente.

With its sitting lions, its protruding lion’s heads, its carved columns and its statues standing inside finely wrought niches, the portal of St. Augustine’s is a feast for the eyes. The coat of arms of Pesaro (left) and of the Malatesta family (right) are carved underneath the architrave which shows Augustine among angels, saints and prophets. The statues of the Saint and of St. Monica, his mother, are also in the bottom right niche and in the one on the top left, respectively.

59. Via Petrucci N° 8

Corte di Palazzo Biondelli. Le finestre con inferriata in alto sono resti del confinante Palazzo Bonamini, demolito negli anni sessanta.

The courtyard of the Palazzo Biondelli. The windows with grilles, at the top of the building, have survived the demolition of the adjoining Palazzo Bonamini which took place in the 1960’s.

Via Petrucci

60. Chiesa nel Nome di Dio / Church of the Name of God

La Chiesa è stata costruita nel XVI secolo dall’architetto Guglielmo di Francia, per conto di una confraternita che si dedicava alla sepoltura dei poveri. Il portale è stato disegnato da Giannandrea Lazzarini nel XVII secolo. L’interno, di grande effetto, è opera del pittore Gian Giacomo Pandolfi e degli scenografi Giovanni Cortese e Niccolò Sabbatini. Napoleone ha portato in Francia il quadro più bello: “La Circoncisione” di Federico Barocci (XVI secolo). Il quadro che si vede oggi è una copia di Carlo Paolucci ( XVIII secolo). L’organo risale al 1631 ed è stato restaurato nel 1996. E’ l’unica opera esistente del famoso organaro Antonio Paci.

La sagrestia è stata dipinta da diversi pittori; tre tele sono di Gian Giacomo Pandolfi.

The Church was built in the XVI century by architect Guglielmo di Francia for a Brotherhood dedicated to the burial of the poor. The portal was designed by Gianadrea Lazzarini in the XVII century. The stunning interior of the church is due to the combined work of painter Gian Giacomo Pandolfi and scenographers Giovanni Cortese and Niccolò Sabbatini. Napoleon took away the best painting: “The Circumcision of Jesus” by Federico Barocci (XVI century). The painting we see today is a copy by Carlo Paolucci (XVIII century).The pipe organ dates back to 1631 and was restored in 1996. It’s the only surviving work of Antonio Paci, a renowned pipe organ builder.

The sacristy was painted by several painters; three paintings are by Gian Giacomo Pandolfi.

61. Via Petrucci N° 33

Palazzo Scattolari

Palazzo Scattolari, ancora fatiscente, aspetta un radicale restauro.

The crumbling Palazzo Scattolari awaits a thorough restoration.

62.Via Petrucci N° 44

Parte superiore esterna dell’ex Chiesa di San Filippo, un tempo la costruzione più alta della città e sede del Liceo musicale Rossini dalla sua fondazione nel 1882, per disposizione testamentaria del Maestro, fino al suo trasferimento a Palazzo Macchirelli dieci anni dopo.

The upper section of the former Church of Saint Philip, once the tallest building in Pesaro. The Rossini Music Lycée, founded in 1882 according to the will of the Maestro, was housed here until it was moved to the Palazzo Macchirelli ten years later.

63. Corso XI Settembre

Palazzo Biondelli

Palazzo Biondelli, con le tipiche logge, di fronte alla Chiesa di Sant’Agostino.

The Palazzo Biondelli, with the typical colonnade, in front of St. Augustine’s.

64. Via Varese N° 13

Palazzo Bonamini

Portone (già in Via Bonamini) del Palazzo Bonamini. Le quattro D sulle imposte sono forse le iniziali delle seguenti parole: Dove Dimorano Donne Divine. Questo era quanto sostenevano le signore che vivevano nel palazzo prima della sua demolizione.

The front door (formerly in Via Bonamini) of the Palazzo Bonamini. The four D’s on the imposts may be the initials of the following words: Where Divine Women Dwell. That was the opinion of the ladies living in the palazzo before its demolition.

65. Via Giovanni Bovio N° 6

Palazzo Giungi

Palazzo Giungi, ex Bontà.

The Palazzo Giungi, formerly Bontà.

66. Corso XI Settembre

Chiesa di San Cassiano / Church of San Cassiano

La Chiesa ha origini antichissime e nel corso del tempo ha subito diverse modifiche.

E’scomparso il rosone esistente nell’alto medioevo. Nel cinquecento è stata costruita una cupola a tutto sesto, poi trasformata a tamburo. Il presbiterio risale invece al XVII secolo.

The Church is very ancient and has often been altered in the course of time. The rose window dating back to the early Middle Ages has disappeared. A round dome was built in the cinquecento, but it was later given a drum-like shape. The presbytery was added in the XVII century.

67. Piazza Doria

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Scala / Church of Saint Mary of the Ladder

La Chiesa di Santa Maria della Scala, progettata dall’ingegnere Pietro Togni, risale al 1822. Togni ha costruito la fontana con l’obelisco nel 1828. La statua a destra della chiesa rappresenta Sant’Andrea, Santo Patrono dei pescatori.

The Church of Saint Mary of the Ladder, designed by Pietro Togni M.E., dates back to 1822. Togni built the fountain with the obelisk in 1828. The statue on the right of the church represents Saint Andrew, the fishermen’s Patron Saint.

68. Corso XI Settembre N° 184

Centro per le Arti Visive / Visual Arts Centre

Centro per le Arti Visive (già pescheria) progettato nel 1823 dall’ingegnere Pompeo Mancini (1780-1856).

The Visual Arts Centre (formerly a fish market) was designed by Pompeo Mancini M.E. (1780-1856) in 1823.

Corso XI Settembre N° 188

Centro per le arti visive (Ex Chiesa del Suffragio)

Visual Arts Center, formerly the Church of the Suffragio.

69. Corso XI Settembre NN 201/203

Istituto d’Arte “Ferruccio Mengaroni”

Istituto d’Arte “Ferruccio Mengaroni” (Ex Scuole elementari comunali dedicate a Giulio Perticari) opera dell’ingegnere Ettore Lambertini.

Istituto d’Arte “Ferruccio Mengaroni” (Formerly the Municipal elementary schools named after Giulio Perticari) designed by Ettore Lambertini M.E.

70. Corso XI Settembre 234

Casa natale di Francesco Aiuti / The Birthplace of Francesco Aiuti

Casa natale di Francesco Aiuti, garibaldino. Una lapide lo ricorda.

The Birthplace of Francesco Aiuti, a Garibaldian. A plaque commemorates him.

71. Corso XI Settembre

Chiesa della Purificazione (Church of St. Mary of the Purification / Our Lady of Mount Carmel)

La Chiesa, chiamata anche del Carmine, è stata progettata dall’architetto Padre Giuseppe Tranquilli (?-1804). Il disegno e la pianta sono unitari. La spoliazione cisalpina prima e sabauda poi hanno ridotto la chiesa ad uso improprio. E’ stata restituita al culto alla fine del secolo scorso. Il convento attiguo è stato restaurato e destinato all’edilizia popolare.

It was designed by architect Father Giuseppe Tranquilli (?-1804). The floor plan has never been altered. Improper use of the Church was made under the anticlerical legislation of the Cisalpine Republic and, later on, of the Kingdom of Italy. It has been a place of worship again since the end of the last century. The adjoining convent has been restored and turned into a housing project.

72. Corso XI Settembre N° 267

Ospizio di San Benedetto / Hospice of Saint Benedict

Il sinistro edificio del Corso è stato dal 1829 fino a pochi anni fa la sede dell’ospedale psichiatrico.

The sinister-looking building in the Corso was a mental institution from 1829 until a few years ago.

73. Via Massimi

Una tipica via del quartiere del Borgo, antico insediamento popolare lungo la Via consolare Flaminia, tra la chiesa di Sant’Agostino e il ponte vecchio sul Foglia.

A typical street of the Borgo quarter, an ancient settlement along the Flaminian Way, between St. Augustine’s and the old bridge over the River Foglia.

74. Osservatorio Valerio (visto dal ponte della Strada Statale N° 16) / Valerio Observatory (a view from the bridge of the N° 16 National Highway)

Lorenzo Valerio, regio Commissario di Vittorio Emanuele II nelle Marche dal 9 Settembre 1860 al 19 Gennaio 1861, ha unito la regione all’Italia firmando 840 decreti. L’Osservatorio a lui dedicato è stato istituito col Decreto N° 745 del 9.1.1861.

Lorenzo Valerio, royal Commissioner of King Victor Emmanuel in the Marches from 9 September 1860 to 19 January 1861, signed 840 decrees to unite the region to Italy. The Observatory dedicated to him was established by the decree N° 745 of 9 January 1861.

75. Via Cecconi

La via di accesso all’Osservatorio Valerio è la più stretta della città (circa 120 cm).

The street leading to the Valerio Observatory is the narrowest in the city (about 120 cm).

76. Via Belvedere

Orti Giulii e Porta Rimini / Orti Giulii and Porta Rimini

Gli Orti sono un parco progettato dall’ingegnere Pompeo Mancini (1780-1856) e ubicato nell’antico bastione del Carmine. Il Conte Francesco Cassi ha dedicato gli orti all’amico e cugino Giulio Perticari, la cui erma è stata posta al culmine del bastione.

The "Orti Giulii"are a park designed by Pompeo Mancini M.E. (1780-1856) and located in the ancient rampart of the Carmel. Count Francesco Cassi dedicated the gardens to his friend and cousin Giulio Perticari whose herm was placed at the top of the bastion.

77. Via Belvedere N° 132

Facciata d’ingresso al Parchetto dei Duchi della Rovere, in cui hanno soggiornato per breve tempo Bernardo e Torquato Tasso.

The facade of the entrance to the park of the della Rovere Dukes, where Bernardo and Torquato Tasso once stayed and worked.

78. Via Belvedere

Porta Rimini

L’unica porta sopravvissuta della cortina roveresca. Qui sono entrati i piemontesi, condotti dal Generale Cialdini, l’undici Settembre 1860.

The only surviving gate of the della Rovere walls. The Piedmontese army, led by General Cialdini, marched through it on 11 September 1860.

79. Via Porta Rimini

Casa di fronte a Porta Rimini. Le palle di ferro e la lapide ricordano l’entrata dell’esercito piemontese.

A house in front of Porta Rimini. The iron cannon balls and the plaque commemorate the day when the Piedmontese army entered Pesaro.

80. Ponte vecchio / Old humpbacked bridge

Un ponte medievale, con pietre e piloni risalenti all’Impero romano, attraversa il fiume Foglia. E’ lungo 50 e largo 5,80 metri. L’arcata ha resistito ai seri danni provocati dal secondo conflitto mondiale.

A Medieval bridge, with stones and piers dating back to the Roman Empire, spans the River Foglia. It is 50 metres long and 5.80 metres wide. It was badly damaged during the Second World War, but the arch survived.

81. Via Massimi

Il fabbricato con ciminiera era la lavanderia dell’ ospedale psichiatrico provinciale.

The building with a smokestack was the wash-house of the provincial mental institution.

Biblioteca "San Giovanni" / San Giovanni" Library

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil (Cicero)

Se presso alla biblioteca ci sarÓ un giardino, nulla ci mancherÓ (Cicerone)

He who has a library with a garden lacks nothing (Cicero)

82. Via Passeri

Chiesa di San Giovanni / Saint John’s

E’ stata progettata dall’architetto ducale Girolamo Genga (1476?-1551) per conto di Guidubaldo II della Rovere che voleva un Mausoleo per sé e per la sua famiglia. I lavori hanno avuto inizio nel 1534, con la posa della prima pietra da parte di Giulia Varano, la moglie del Duca. Alla morte del Genga, è subentrato il figlio Gerolamo, anch’egli architetto. La facciata, incompiuta come tutto l’esterno, presenta tre grandi archi nei quali sono ricavate tre nicchie, con al centro il portale. In alto un arco poggiante su due colonne incornicia un finestrone. Ai lati si trovano due grandi volute di marmo. L’interno è a croce latina. Nei nicchioni laterali, tre per ciascun lato, sono stati ricavati altrettanti altari. Notevole la Natività della scuola del Barocci (primo altare a destra) e il Crocifisso seicentesco, opera di Fra’ Innocenzo da Petralia (secondo altare a destra, disegnato da Tommaso Bicciaglia). Quattro colonne sostengono il grande arco centrale. Tra quelle di destra è affrescata una Crocefissione. Sotto la cupola ottagonale vi sono quattro tondi, uno dei quali è stato trasformato in orologio. Al centro dell’altare barocco a sinistra, opera di Giuseppe Mazza (1635-1741), si trova il quadro che raffigura San Francesco mentre riceve le Sacre Stimmate sul monte della Verna (1224). Sopra le porte laterali, a destra, si trovano due quadri che rappresentano San Carlo in preghiera di fronte al Signore e un’Annunciazione. A sinistra dell’altare maggiore, su cui è posto un Crocifisso cinquecentesco, si trova il monumento funebre di Giulio Perticari. L’iscrizione “A Giulio Perticari onore e lume dell’italico idioma i fratelli Giuseppe e Gordiano” si riferisce alla passione dello studioso per la lingua italiana e alla sua posizione antitoscana e antiarcaica nel dibattito conosciuto come “Questione della Lingua”.

Duke Guidubaldo II della Rovere had architect Girolamo Genga (circa 1476-1551) design the Church as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The foundation-stone was laid by his wife, Giulia Varano, in 1534. After the architect’s death, his son Bartolomeo took over. The outside of the Church is unfinished. The facade has three niches, set within larger arches, with the entrance in the middle. The big window above is framed with a finely wrought marble arch. Two large marble scrolls are placed on both sides. Inside, the church has a Latin Cross floor plan. In the big side niches, three on each side, there are as many altars. Noteworthy the “Nativity” after Barocci (first altar on the right) and the XVII century Crucifix, the work of Brother Innocenzo da Petralia (second altar on the right, designed by Tommaso Bicciaglia). Four columns support the central arch. A Crucifixion is painted in fresco between the columns on the right. Under the octagonal dome there are four tondi, one of them has been turned into a clock. At the centre of the baroque altar on the left, the work of Giuseppe Mazza (1653-1741), there’s the painting representing St. Francis receiving the Sacred Stigmata on Mount Averna (1224). Above the two side doors, on the right, there are two paintings representing San Carlo praying in front of the Lord and an Annunciation. On the left of the high altar, with its cinquecento Crucifix, there’s the monument to Giulio Perticari. The inscription “To Giulio Perticari honour and beacon of the Italian tongue his brothers Giuseppe and Gordiano” refers to the scholar’s passion for Italian and to his anti-Tuscan and anti-archaistic stance on the debate known as the “Questione della Lingua” (the problem of the standard language to use in Italy).

83. Via Passeri N° 101

Palazzo dove Ŕ vissuto Giambattista Passeri, naturalista e raccoglitore di oggetti antichi (1694-1780). Una lapide lo ricorda. Qui è vissuto ed ha lavorato anche il pittore fanese Enzo Bonetti (1916-1987).

The Palazzo where Giambattista Passeri, a naturalist and antiquarian (1694-1780), once lived. A plaque commemorates him. Enzo Bonetti, a painter from Fano (1916-1987), also lived and worked here.

Palazzo Pinto-Bonali

Il Palazzo Pinto-Bonali (già Gradari-Mamiani), al N° 119, risale al XVI secolo ed è appartenuto a Marco Gradari, medico del Duca Guidubaldo II e suocero di Giulio Cesare Mamiani. Il Portone in pietra tufacea ricorda in qualche modo il Portale del Palazzo ducale. Qui è vissuto Piero Bonali N.H. (1903-1998), cultore di storia pesarese.

The Palazzo Pinto-Bonali (formerly Gradari-Mamiani), at N° 119, dates back to the XVI century and once belonged to Marco Gradari, Duke Guidubaldo II’s physician. The tufa front door has a certain resemblance with the Portal of the Ducal Palace. The Honourable Piero Bonali (1903-1998), an authority on Pesarese history, lived here.

84. Via Passeri

Chiesa di Santa Lucia e San Carlo Borromeo / Church of Santa Lucia and San Carlo Borromeo

La Chiesa, progettata dall’architetto Giovanni Battista Bernabei e risalente agli inizi del XVII secolo, era un tempo dedicata solo a San Carlo Borromeo. Il corpo della Santa siracusana, sepolta a Venezia, è stato portato solennemente in questa chiesa nel Settembre 1975 ed esposto per alcuni giorni per interessamento dell’allora Abate Parroco Don Enea Marchionetti (1907-1985). All’interno le nicchie alle pareti accolgono le grandi statue lignee ricoperte di gesso degli apostoli, opera di Giovanni Battista Polinaro, scultore veneziano. Il Crocifisso dietro l’altare maggiore è circondato da quattro angeli dipinti da Enzo Bonetti (1916-1987). Il 13 Dicembre, Festa di Santa Lucia, fin dalle prime ore dell’alba una grande folla si raduna nella Chiesa e nelle vie adiacenti che vengono isolate.

The Church, designed by architect Giovanni Battista Bernabei and dating back to the beginning of the XVII century, was once dedicated only to San Carlo Borromeo. In September 1975 Santa Lucia, whose body lies in Venice, was translated here for a few days through the good offices of the then Abbot and Parish priest Father Enea Marchionetti (1907-1985). Inside, the walls are lined with niches with the wooden statues of the Apostles covered with plaster of Paris, the work of Giovanni Battista Polinaro, a sculptor from Venice. The Crucifix behind the high altar is surrounded by four angels painted by Enzo Bonetti (1916-1987). On December 13, Santa Lucia’s day, the Church gets very crowded since dawn and the area around it is cordoned off .

85. Piazza Antaldi N° 2

Palazzo Montani-Antaldi

Ingresso all’auditorium della Fondazione della Cassa di Risparmio di Pesaro

Costruito su progetto di Tommaso Bicciaglia (1720?-1804?) tra il 1777 e il 1785 e gravemente danneggiato durante la Seconda Guerra Mondiale, il palazzo è stato restaurato con cura a partire dalla seconda metà degli anni ottanta e inaugurato dal Presidente del Senato della Repubblica, Giovanni Spadolini, nel 1991. Il Palazzo Montani-Antaldi è la sede della Fondazione della Cassa di Risparmio di Pesaro.

Entrance to the auditorium of the Foundation of the Pesaro Savings Bank

Designed by Tommaso Bicciaglia (circa 1720-circa 1804) and built between 1777 and 1785, the palazzo, badly damaged during World War Two, was painstakingly restored in the second half of the 1980's. It was inaugurated by the President of the Senate of the Republic, Giovanni Spadolini, in 1991. The palazzo is the seat of the Foundation of the Savings Bank of Pesaro.

Piazza Antaldi angolo via Mazza / At the corner of Piazza Antaldi and via Mazza

Pietra d’angolo con lo stemma di Giovanni Sforza.

Cornerstone with the coat of arms of Giovanni Sforza.

86. Via del Vallato (la via prende il nome dal fosso sotterraneo che attraversa la città) / Via del Vallato (the street is named after the culverted ditch that crosses the city)

Volto di accesso a Via del Vallato.

An archway leading to Via del Vallato.

87. Via delle Galligarie

Avanzi di mura romane accanto allo scavo archeologico del primo insediamento abitativo della città.

The remains of Roman walls next to the archaeological dig at the site of the city’s earliest settlement.

Via delle Calligarie N░ 39

Frammento di marmo, con lettere o numeri romani ancora visibili, usato come selce in via delle Calligarie.

A marble fragment, with Roman numerals or letters still visible, used as a cobblestone in via delle Calligarie.

88. Via Mazza N° 97

Palazzo Almerici (secolo XVII) - Portone della Biblioteca e dei Musei Oliveriani / Palazzo Almerici (XVII century) - Oliveriana Museum and Library

Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri (1708-1799) è stato il fondatore della Biblioteca e dei Musei, a lui dedicati, nella seconda metà del XVIII secolo. Olivieri non solo ha donato alla Comunità pesarese i libri e i reperti archeologici suoi e dell’amico Giambattista Passeri (1694-1780), ma ha anche destinato una parte consistente del suo patrimonio per l’istituzione di una Fondazione.

La biblioteca possiede oltre 300.000 libri (tra cui migliaia di cinquecentine) , 2.000 pergamene, 2.040 manoscritti, 356 incunaboli. Essa ospita anche il Mappamondo di Pesaro, risalente al XVI secolo, nonché una collezione di medaglie e monete.

Il museo si trova al piano terreno: tre sale accolgono insieme a reperti archeologici di grande valore anche tutto il materiale scoperto nella necropoli della vicina Novilara, alla fine dello scorso secolo.

Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri (1708-1789) founded the Museum and Library, named after him, in the second half of the XVIII century. Olivieri gave the Community of Pesaro his and his friend Passeri’s books and archeological exhibits. He also bequeathed an important part of his estate to set up a Foundation.

The library has over 300,000 books (thousands of which printed in the XVI century), 2,000 parchments, 2,040 manuscripts, 356 incunabula. Among the artistic treasures of the library are the world-famous Oliveriana Globe, dating back to the XVI century, and a fine collection of coins and medals.

The museum is on the ground floor: three rooms contain invaluable archeological exhibits together with all the material found in the necropolis of Novilara (a village seven Km from Pesaro) at the end of the XIX century.

89. Via Mazza N° 12

Entrata di Palazzo Lorena.

Entrance to the Palazzo Lorena.

90. Via Barignani N° 40

Palazzo cinquecentesco della famiglia Barignani nella via omonima, conosciuta anche come “montatina delle erbe”. Qui, durante la costruzione dell’edificio, è stato trovata la statua greca del V secolo nota come “l’idolino di Pesaro”. L’originale è ora a Firenze e una copia è esposta ai Musei oliveriani.

The cinquecento Palace of the Barignani family in the street bearing the same name, also known as “the slope of the vegetable market”. A V century Greek statue was found here, when the palazzo was being built. The statue is known as “the little idol” of Pesaro. The original is now in Florence and a copy is on display at the Oliveriana Museum.

91. Via Zongo N° 17

Palazzo Zongo.

The Palazzo Zongo.

92. Via Sabbatini N° 22

Palazzo Leuchtenberg Ricci

Il Congresso di Vienna (1814-1815) ha permesso ai Duchi di Leuchtenberg, proprietari del palazzo, di conservare l’appannaggio, cioè l’assegnazione beneficiaria di terre a favore del Principe Eugenio di Beauharnais, Duca di Leuchtenberg, figliastro di Napoleone e Vicerè d’Italia. Il palazzo è stato poi acquistato dalla famiglia Ricci (lo stemma sul portone contiene un riccio). I Ricci l’hanno trasformato in orfanotrofio per ragazze che, ingranditosi con l’unione di opere pie simili, ha assunto il nome di Conservatorio femminile.

The Congress of Vienna (1814-1815) allowed the Dukes of Leuchtenberg, owners of the palazzo, to keep the appanage, that is the Estate assigned as a source of revenue to the stepson of Napoleon, Prince Eugene of Beauharnais, Duke of Leuchtenberg and Viceroy of Italy. The palazzo was then bought by the Riccis (their coat of arms, over the entrance, contains a riccio i.e. a hedgehog) who turned it into an orphanage for girls. The orphanage took the more imposing name of Girls’ Boarding-School after its consolidation with other similar charitable institutions.

Stemma della famiglia Ricci / The coat of arms of the Ricci family

Stemma della famiglia Ricci.

The coat of arms of the Ricci family

Stemma del Principe Eugenio di Beauharnais / The coat of arms of Prince Eugene of Beauharnais

Stemma del Principe Eugenio di Beauharnais.

The coat of arms of Prince Eugene of Beauharnais.

Piazza Olivieri

93. Chiesa di San Giacomo e Casa parrocchiale. / Saint James’s Church and Parish house

Costruita nel XVIII secolo, dopo la demolizione di una chiesa più antica, San Giacomo ha conservato il campanile quattrocentesco. All’interno si trova il monumento ad Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri, fondatore dell’omonima biblioteca. L’organo, opera di Gaetano Callido, proviene dalla vicina chiesa della Maddalena.

Built in the XVII century, after the demolition of an older Church, Saint James’s has preserved the quattrocento bell tower. Inside there’s the church monument to Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri, the founder of the library. The pipe organ, built by Gaetano Callido, was brought here from the nearby Saint Magdalene’s Church.

94. Conservatorio di Musica Rossini / Rossini Conservatory (Piazza Olivieri N° 30)

Palazzo Macchirelli, progettato dal Lazzarini nel settecento, è dal 1892 la sede del Liceo musicale, divenuto poi Conservatorio nel 1940. La biblioteca risale alla fondazione del liceo nel 1882 e possiede oltre 50.000 volumi. Il conservatorio ha avuto direttori illustri, tra i quali Pietro Mascagni, autore della “Cavalleria rusticana” (1895-1902) e Riccardo Zandonai, cittadino onorario di Pesaro (1940-1944). Il palazzo è di proprietà della “Fondazione Gioachino Rossini”.

The Palazzo Macchirelli, designed by Gianandrea Lazzarini in the XVIII century, was taken over by the Music Lycée in 1892 (a Conservatory since 1940). The library dates back to the foundation of the Lycée in 1882 and has more than fifty thousand volumes. Pietro Mascagni, the composer of the “Cavalleria rusticana” (1895-1902) and Riccardo Zandonai, an honorary citizen of Pesaro (1940-1944), are among the distinguished directors of the Conservatory. The palazzo is the property of the “Gioachino Rossini Foundation”.

Statua di Rossini nel giardino del Conservatorio / The statue of Rossini in the garden of the Conservatory

Nel 1864, il Maestro è stato presente all’inaugurazione del suo monumento, dono di due ammiratori stranieri, Giuseppe di Salamanca, di Madrid, e Gustavo Delahante, di Parigi. L’opera è del torinese Carlo Marochetti, scultore famoso e membro dell’Accademia reale inglese. Tra i suoi capolavori: la statua di Riccardo Cuor di Leone, all’esterno della camera dei Lords a Londra, e un pannello dell’Arco di Trionfo a Parigi.

In 1864, the Maestro was present at the unveiling of his monument, a gift from two foreign admirers, José de Salamanca, from Madrid, and Gustave Delahante, from Paris. The sculptor was the celebrated Carlo Marochetti RA, from Turin. Among his masterpieces: the statue of Richard the Lionheart, outside the House of Lords in London, and a panel for the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

Auditorium Pedrotti

La sala da concerti è dedicata al compositore veronese Maestro Carlo Pedrotti, primo Direttore del Liceo musicale dal 1882 al 1893.

The concert hall is named after Maestro Carlo Pedrotti, a composer from Verona and the first director of the Music Lycée from 1882 to1893.

95. Via Zacconi (Montatina dell’asilo infantile / The infants’school’s slope)

Chiesa della Maddalena / St. Mary Magdalene's Church

Progettata dall’architetto Luigi Vanvitelli (1700-1773) nel 1740, la Chiesa è posta alla sommità della montatina dell’asilo. Un accurato restauro l’ha riportata all’antico splendore, dopo un lungo periodo di abbandono. Tre grandi tele di Gianandrea Lazzarini sono collocate sopra i tre altari. La Chiesa è a croce greca e viene ora viene utilizzata come auditorium e come sala per esposizioni.

Designed by architect Luigi Vanvitelli (1700-1773) in 1740, the Church is located at the top of the slope of the infants’school. A painstaking restoration has brought it back to its original magnificence after many years of neglect. Three large paintings by Gianandrea Lazzarini hang over the three altars. The Church has a Greek Cross floor plan and is now utilized as an auditorium and an exhibition hall.

96. Via della Maternità

Ala del Convento delle Benedettine (con uno scalone progettato dal Vanvitelli) scampata alla guerra e alla demolizione dell’edificio, avvenuta degli anni sessanta.

The wing of the Convent of the Benedictine nuns (with a staircase designed by Vanvitelli) which survived the war and the demolition of the building which took place in the 1960's.

Adesso proseguite lungo via della Maternità, fino a via Gavelli, girate a destra e poi ancora a destra e vi troverete nel punto più alto della città. La via non ha uscita. Fine del percorso.

Now proceed along via della Maternità and turn right at via Gavelli and then right again. This cul-de-sac is the highest point in Pesaro. End of the walk.

The materials published on this site can be used freely. In case of publication, websites included, please request the authorization of the Teachers Resources Center.